Ruffles…not just for the bums of baby tights anymore! Ruffles are everywhere right now and are huge for spring fashion. But as an adult how do you incorporate a ruffle without looking like a 3 year old? I bought this amazing faux leather jacket from Zara recently that has just a hint of ruffle on the shoulders. It’s just enough to add a little drama and interest to the jacket, and it inspired me to dust off the ‘ol keyboard and put a blog post together.
Some tips on wearing ruffles as a grown woman:
– When you’re an adult wearing ruffles, stick to one ruffled item at a time.
– You want to pair your ruffled item with something a little edgy to balance it out…distressed denim, ankle boots, a (non-ruffled) bomber, denim, or leather jacket.
– Have fun! It’s always fun to try a new trend, dive in and experiment the next time you’re in a dressing room!
- Here’s the Leather Effect Frilled Jacket from Zara I mentioned above. It’s so cute on and the ruffle at the wrist and waist is just enough.
- I’m always looking for a way to elevate my jeans and a t-shirt mom uniform and this Bobeau Poplin Ruffle Tee from Nordstrom certainly does the trick! This would great with white jeans (obviously) but also with a pair of light distressed jeans.
- These Loeffler Randall Vera Ruffle Slide Sandals are gorgeous! I love the delicate ruffle in suede.
- I love this Willow and Paige Ribbed sweater from ASOS! The ruffled shoulders are totally adorable. I have the sweater in purple and white stripes and usually wear with dark denim and black ankle boots but it also comes in pink and beige.
- J. Crew is doing ruffles on a bathing suit! This Ruffle Bandeau One-piece is adorable and a little bust ruffle is always a nice way to flatter anyone with a smaller top.
- These Tory Burch Ruffle Sneakers are the cutest. Sneakers. Ever! Perfect for spring/summer.
Are you wearing ruffles yet?!
We’ve had summer-like temps around here lately and I have felt rather unprepared – I was out of sunscreen, my sandals were packed away, and I really felt like I had nothing to wear. I haven’t worn my “normal” summer clothes in 2 years now (I was juuuuuust post-partum last summer so my regular clothes weren’t happening just yet) so I wanted to find a couple pieces for summer to freshen up my summer wardrobe. Here are a few things I’ve found perfect to be wearing (and using) all summer long!
1. I love a straw bag for the summer as a catch all for my stuff, kid stuff, and all the extras for summer like sunscreen and hats. This Mar y Sol Caracas tote could not be cuter! The price-tag is a bit much for me, but I have a DIY for the blog for a similar straw bag look in the near future!
2. I jumped on the romper bandwagon years ago (if you remember) and when I saw this jumpsuit with straps from Zara I knew it would be adorable dressed down with a tee for the playground or dressed up with a collared shirt and heels for dinner out. A couple notes: these look a little like a wrestler’s outfit when it’s not on you, but don’t be afraid – so. cute. on. It also runs long, I had to do a little sewing and shorten my straps but taking out like 6″ of fabric.
3. Another pair of sandals I’m dying for this summer are these paz two strap sandals from Loeffler Randall – adorable, right?
4. These cotton faille pull-on shorts from J. Crew are the best. They run a little big, but I always size up in shorts anyway, so I didn’t mind. Wear them to the beach over your suit or with a tucked in chambray for a more put together look.
5. For our birthdays in the fall my husband and I got each other new sunglasses, I opted for these Maui Jim cliff house aviators and I love them!
6. American Eagle is killing it in the summer sandal department – yes, AE! I personally love these ankle tie gladiator sandals and at $35 you can’t beat the price.
7. We are constantly setting up picnics and/or little areas for M to crawl around while we’re at the playground so I like to have a fun, bright towel with me at all times. Turkish towels are so soft and colorful like this turkish-t beach candy towel from Madewell. I love the colors together!
What are you summer must-haves?
Have you seen the adorable new line of clothes from Margherita Missoni (of the Missoni family)? It’s very sweet. I found out about the line from the article in the March issue of Vogue, read a portion of it here. It was a sweet article basically saying that since Margherita has had her son (he is 18 months old and she is pregnant with their second) she moved to the country to escape the hustle and bustle of Milan and give her children a calmer life in the country where she grew up with the family that loves him. So sweet, and really what all of us looking for – to give our kids a happy life! Anyway, she was inspired to create a line of clothing that was both chic and durable (since items are washed sooo many times), which is just so practical.
Here are some highlights from the collection for both baby boys and girls and girls to size 7. It’s very moderately priced, on par with crewcuts I’d say, and therefore makes sense that it’s on sale at Nordstrom here in the US. I am debating the coordinating fish print shirt (for M) and skirt (for Z) for the summer. How cute would they look?!
Did you know that Nordstrom sells toys? They have an awesome collection of toys from brands like Melissa & Doug, Hape, Goldieblox, Jellycat, Skiphop and more! They sell baby toys, toddler toys, and toys and kits for bigger kids too. And books! I have a little round-up below of some things my kids would love.
1. Z has a stuffed donut, so I figured Baby M should have a slice of pizza! 2. Z would love this parking garage (with helipad on top!) from Hape and soon enough M will, too. 3. Sofia the First is Z’s absolute favorite – she’d love this matching game. 4. I love to get classic board books for M. 5. And cute, quirky teething rings! 6. I love this Skiphop learning books for M too! 7. Z loves to cook in her kitchen so why not get her this chef’s coat from Melissa & Doug, cute! 8. And this is one of Z’s faves that we constantly borrow from the library, maybe we should finally own it.
Happy Cyber Monday shopping!
*Disclaimer, affiliate links are used above where I may earn a small commission on items purchased. Thanks for supporting Style by Jess!
Raise your hand if you’re traveling at all with the upcoming holidays!!!!
I haven’t done an outfit post like this in forever – honestly I love doing them but they take a long time to put together and with 2 wee ones who seem to always be in need, my time is not my own and certainly not this blog’s either… BUT! I’ve had my eye on a few things online that I really wanted to share so I decided to round up a little outfit for any upcoming holiday travel you may have this winter. What will you be wearing?
1. Madewell linen Telegraph tee in stripe (on sale!); 2. Layer Love Necklace from Dogeared; 3. J. Crew Chateau Parka in neon electric flame; 4. Fingerless gloves from Zara; 5. Spanx faux leather leggings from Nordstrom; 6. J Slides Fltecher Sneakers from Anthropologie; 7.kate spade Saturday Weekender bag in Gold Dot.
My Z is a girly girl, that comes as no surprise. So, once she realized how much she loved wearing dresses, she has requested them non-stop! Since most of our days include playground and backyard playing (sand! dirt! mud!) they aren’t always the best choice, but she does have a small collection of cute, wear-anywhere dresses. Here is one of her faves:
Hair bows – Forever 21 (there are 2 because we’ve been doing a lot of pigtails lately) / Blue Dress – Tucker & Tate (similar) / Bike shorts (that don’t usually show, but are worn to cover up her diaper, she’s a lady!) – Target / Silver Sandals – Saltwater (these are the best! They’re cute enough to be dressy but durable and waterproof enough to wear anywhere – including puddles and splash pads)
Temps finally rose for us in the New England area the past few days, and don’t get me wrong – I love a good 40-degree day when you can go out in a sweater and a vest instead of every layer you own PLUS a down winter coat just to stay warm. But – you better still be wearing your boots or galoshes because the 3 feet of snow outside is melllllting. Like everyone else, I am jumping on the “I can’t wait for spring” bandwagon and pulling together a bunch of items that I am desperate to wear now but will have to wait until spring, but I am focusing on footwear. Footwear is the final piece to the thank-God-it’s-finally-spring puzzle because you have wait a lonnnng time to wear them without fear of ruining them in snow and endless puddles. Here’s a little round-up of some spring shoes I am coveting right now…
1. Love these Nautical Ballerina flats from Zara. 2. I am obsessed with the shape of d’orsay flats and can’t wait to get a pair – I love these Ted Baker London Cadeen Flats, the pop of peach is lovely. 3. These Soludos Lace Up Espadrille Flats are adorable and look SO comfy. 4. I had to include a yellow shoe because I always think yellow when I think spring. Aren’t these Tippy Pumps from Anthropologie perfect? 5. A bright-patterned ballet flat is perfect for spring, I love these DV8 by Dolce Vita Tasmin Flats and they’re under $40! 6. And these Lucky Brand Two Piece Flats, these just scream spring! 7. Chuck Taylor Metallic in Rose Gold – the perfect feminine sneaker for spring. 8. I love these pink J.Crew Collection Blakely summer stripe pumps, just the perfect bright color.
What shoes are you looking forward to wearing when it gets warmer AND drier?
Happy Fourth of July – here is what I’ll be wearing today to celebrate our freedom… all decked out in red, white, and blue! And of course I’ll be eating ice cream from one of these yummy Patriotic cones!
1. Ironically, I will be wearing a blue and white striped dress that I bought at Jaeger while in London. 2. Society 6 has the best prints for iPhone cases, of course you need the American flag for the Fourth! 3. For this Patriotic day, a red belt is perfect for this dress, like this one from Forever21 – only $5! 4. This navy straw Mar y Sol “Sydney” crocheted cross-body bag from Nordstrom is perfect with this outfit. 5. These red sandals from Zara are great – and on sale!
While we’re in being tourists in the fabulous city of London this week I thought I’d share with you my thoughts on what to wear while you’re being a tourist. When you’re traveling to a place like London, you know you’ll be out and about all day visiting museums, parks, famous stores (Harrod’s!!), all the while trying to look great because you’ll be posing for tons of photos, trying to be comfortable because you’ll be walking miles, and trying to be dressed for the weather – which – in a place like London is a giant variable. SO! With all that in mind, here is what I’ll be wearing while being a tourist this week in London. Seeya later mate (trying to fit in a little)!
1. I am addicted to my chambray, similar to this from Madewell so I will absolutely be wearing it a lot on this trip; 2. A cute baseball cap from kate spade Saturday if it’s sunny and you need to protect your face; 3. A necklace because you still want to accessorize while you’re being a tourist! I love this one from Topshop for a pop of color; 4. You should always carry an umbrella in London, it might as well be cute like this one from Anthropologie; 5. A white tank for under my chambray – these BP double scoop neck tanks from Nordstrom are my fave; 6. I love a bright pant – and they look so great with chambray tops, especially in your vacay photos! I love these Toothpick jeans in Fresh Purple from J. Crew; 7. Our good camera – the Nikon D60 for all our photo taking; 8. ;My favorite Silver Sparkle Converse sneakers – the perfect urban sneaker for a gal who loves sparkle and comfort; and 9. A crossbody bag to hold all your stuff and wear comfortably all day. I have one the same shape and size as this kate spade bag and it’s perfect for travel.
I have a serious love/hate relationship with shorts. When it’s the heat of summer, they are pretty necessary but, I hate the way my legs look in them. My answer to this issue is actually very surprising…go shorter! Maybe it’s because I’m somewhat short (5’4″) but shorts that hit right above or at my knee are less than flattering. They just cut your leg in half making me even shorter – no thanks! So it turns out the most flattering shorts hit mid-thigh, which actually makes your legs look longer. I might add you should also size up in your shorts especially if they’re in a skinny cut – slightly baggy shorts hanging off your hips are much more flattering that hip-hugging tight shorts.
Here’s a little list of shorts I’ve been eying lately that fit my shorter/looser shorts rule…
1. I love these polka-dot chambray shorts from J. Crew Factory; 2. These sequin elastic waist shorts from LOFT are amazing and 40% off right now; 3. These Zara shorts with embroidered hems are no less than fabulous! They are currently sold out of every size but XS. Hopefully they re-stock soon!; 4. These AG Adriano Goldschmied pixie cutoffs from Shopbop are adorable and the perfect length. And I feel the same way about white shorts as I do white jeans; and 5. I love the print of these Lucky Brand Leela Ikat print shorts from Nordstrom.
What are your feelings about shorts?!