Ruffles…not just for the bums of baby tights anymore! Ruffles are everywhere right now and are huge for spring fashion. But as an adult how do you incorporate a ruffle without looking like a 3 year old? I bought this amazing faux leather jacket from Zara recently that has just a hint of ruffle on the shoulders. It’s just enough to add a little drama and interest to the jacket, and it inspired me to dust off the ‘ol keyboard and put a blog post together.
Some tips on wearing ruffles as a grown woman:
– When you’re an adult wearing ruffles, stick to one ruffled item at a time.
– You want to pair your ruffled item with something a little edgy to balance it out…distressed denim, ankle boots, a (non-ruffled) bomber, denim, or leather jacket.
– Have fun! It’s always fun to try a new trend, dive in and experiment the next time you’re in a dressing room!
- Here’s the Leather Effect Frilled Jacket from Zara I mentioned above. It’s so cute on and the ruffle at the wrist and waist is just enough.
- I’m always looking for a way to elevate my jeans and a t-shirt mom uniform and this Bobeau Poplin Ruffle Tee from Nordstrom certainly does the trick! This would great with white jeans (obviously) but also with a pair of light distressed jeans.
- These Loeffler Randall Vera Ruffle Slide Sandals are gorgeous! I love the delicate ruffle in suede.
- I love this Willow and Paige Ribbed sweater from ASOS! The ruffled shoulders are totally adorable. I have the sweater in purple and white stripes and usually wear with dark denim and black ankle boots but it also comes in pink and beige.
- J. Crew is doing ruffles on a bathing suit! This Ruffle Bandeau One-piece is adorable and a little bust ruffle is always a nice way to flatter anyone with a smaller top.
- These Tory Burch Ruffle Sneakers are the cutest. Sneakers. Ever! Perfect for spring/summer.
Are you wearing ruffles yet?!
We’ve had summer-like temps around here lately and I have felt rather unprepared – I was out of sunscreen, my sandals were packed away, and I really felt like I had nothing to wear. I haven’t worn my “normal” summer clothes in 2 years now (I was juuuuuust post-partum last summer so my regular clothes weren’t happening just yet) so I wanted to find a couple pieces for summer to freshen up my summer wardrobe. Here are a few things I’ve found perfect to be wearing (and using) all summer long!
1. I love a straw bag for the summer as a catch all for my stuff, kid stuff, and all the extras for summer like sunscreen and hats. This Mar y Sol Caracas tote could not be cuter! The price-tag is a bit much for me, but I have a DIY for the blog for a similar straw bag look in the near future!
2. I jumped on the romper bandwagon years ago (if you remember) and when I saw this jumpsuit with straps from Zara I knew it would be adorable dressed down with a tee for the playground or dressed up with a collared shirt and heels for dinner out. A couple notes: these look a little like a wrestler’s outfit when it’s not on you, but don’t be afraid – so. cute. on. It also runs long, I had to do a little sewing and shorten my straps but taking out like 6″ of fabric.
3. Another pair of sandals I’m dying for this summer are these paz two strap sandals from Loeffler Randall – adorable, right?
4. These cotton faille pull-on shorts from J. Crew are the best. They run a little big, but I always size up in shorts anyway, so I didn’t mind. Wear them to the beach over your suit or with a tucked in chambray for a more put together look.
5. For our birthdays in the fall my husband and I got each other new sunglasses, I opted for these Maui Jim cliff house aviators and I love them!
6. American Eagle is killing it in the summer sandal department – yes, AE! I personally love these ankle tie gladiator sandals and at $35 you can’t beat the price.
7. We are constantly setting up picnics and/or little areas for M to crawl around while we’re at the playground so I like to have a fun, bright towel with me at all times. Turkish towels are so soft and colorful like this turkish-t beach candy towel from Madewell. I love the colors together!
What are you summer must-haves?
Florals are everywhere right now, have you noticed? You can *literally* get any form of fashion in a floral pattern right now. I personally think we should all tread lightly with this floral trend but there are some pieces that are just lovely. Here’s a little round up of some florals that I’ve been coveting and next week I’ll have a “What to Wear – Florals” to share.
Loeffler Randall Lock Clutch Tucker Floral with Graphic Printed Fabric from Piperlime
H&M Floral jacket (only $30!)
7 For All Mankind Cropped Skinny Jeans tropical paradise from Shopbop
J.Crew Floral Stripe Tee
Adorable floral shoes from Sole Society
I can get my Z involved in the trend with this floral peplum one-piece from babyGAP
And my husband with these floral cufflinks from Zara