Ruffles…not just for the bums of baby tights anymore! Ruffles are everywhere right now and are huge for spring fashion. But as an adult how do you incorporate a ruffle without looking like a 3 year old? I bought this amazing faux leather jacket from Zara recently that has just a hint of ruffle on the shoulders. It’s just enough to add a little drama and interest to the jacket, and it inspired me to dust off the ‘ol keyboard and put a blog post together.
Some tips on wearing ruffles as a grown woman:
– When you’re an adult wearing ruffles, stick to one ruffled item at a time.
– You want to pair your ruffled item with something a little edgy to balance it out…distressed denim, ankle boots, a (non-ruffled) bomber, denim, or leather jacket.
– Have fun! It’s always fun to try a new trend, dive in and experiment the next time you’re in a dressing room!
- Here’s the Leather Effect Frilled Jacket from Zara I mentioned above. It’s so cute on and the ruffle at the wrist and waist is just enough.
- I’m always looking for a way to elevate my jeans and a t-shirt mom uniform and this Bobeau Poplin Ruffle Tee from Nordstrom certainly does the trick! This would great with white jeans (obviously) but also with a pair of light distressed jeans.
- These Loeffler Randall Vera Ruffle Slide Sandals are gorgeous! I love the delicate ruffle in suede.
- I love this Willow and Paige Ribbed sweater from ASOS! The ruffled shoulders are totally adorable. I have the sweater in purple and white stripes and usually wear with dark denim and black ankle boots but it also comes in pink and beige.
- J. Crew is doing ruffles on a bathing suit! This Ruffle Bandeau One-piece is adorable and a little bust ruffle is always a nice way to flatter anyone with a smaller top.
- These Tory Burch Ruffle Sneakers are the cutest. Sneakers. Ever! Perfect for spring/summer.
Are you wearing ruffles yet?!
The holiday season is full of festive events and things to do where it’s fun to dress up! Red and green, sparkles, sequins, even fringe – there are so many ways to doll-up your wardrobe for the season. I usually prefer to go with a fun dynamic top to pair with jeans, red pants, dressy black pants, or even a skirt depending on how fancy the event is. This year, I thought it would be fun to come up with 12 days of Christmas tops to share with you some ideas of fabulous shirts I’ve found around the internet in case you’re also looking for something cute to wear this season!
Day 1: J. Crew Embellished tartan t-shirt. I bought this myself (it’s on super sale) and it’s perfect with dark denim and red flats for a casual party. I prefer short sleeves at a party because I always get hot and an embellished lightweight tee seems to be perfect for that. I thought I’d also note this striped t-shirt with bow-embellished back in red is just adorable from J. Crew too, but the fit is a little odd (for me, at least) but if it works for you, SO cute.
We’ve had summer-like temps around here lately and I have felt rather unprepared – I was out of sunscreen, my sandals were packed away, and I really felt like I had nothing to wear. I haven’t worn my “normal” summer clothes in 2 years now (I was juuuuuust post-partum last summer so my regular clothes weren’t happening just yet) so I wanted to find a couple pieces for summer to freshen up my summer wardrobe. Here are a few things I’ve found perfect to be wearing (and using) all summer long!
1. I love a straw bag for the summer as a catch all for my stuff, kid stuff, and all the extras for summer like sunscreen and hats. This Mar y Sol Caracas tote could not be cuter! The price-tag is a bit much for me, but I have a DIY for the blog for a similar straw bag look in the near future!
2. I jumped on the romper bandwagon years ago (if you remember) and when I saw this jumpsuit with straps from Zara I knew it would be adorable dressed down with a tee for the playground or dressed up with a collared shirt and heels for dinner out. A couple notes: these look a little like a wrestler’s outfit when it’s not on you, but don’t be afraid – so. cute. on. It also runs long, I had to do a little sewing and shorten my straps but taking out like 6″ of fabric.
3. Another pair of sandals I’m dying for this summer are these paz two strap sandals from Loeffler Randall – adorable, right?
4. These cotton faille pull-on shorts from J. Crew are the best. They run a little big, but I always size up in shorts anyway, so I didn’t mind. Wear them to the beach over your suit or with a tucked in chambray for a more put together look.
5. For our birthdays in the fall my husband and I got each other new sunglasses, I opted for these Maui Jim cliff house aviators and I love them!
6. American Eagle is killing it in the summer sandal department – yes, AE! I personally love these ankle tie gladiator sandals and at $35 you can’t beat the price.
7. We are constantly setting up picnics and/or little areas for M to crawl around while we’re at the playground so I like to have a fun, bright towel with me at all times. Turkish towels are so soft and colorful like this turkish-t beach candy towel from Madewell. I love the colors together!
What are you summer must-haves?
With the groundhog seeing his shadow yesterday, winter is here to stay for (at least) another 6 weeks. Plus, in the northeast we got another foot and a half of snow and we’re sort of at the point when you think you’ll never see the ground ever again. That said, I hope you have a great coat to make you warm and toasty when you go outside. Winter coats are like sweaters in that they often make you feel giant and bulky but below are a bunch that are warm and cute and you won’t mind wearing for the next 6
1. THE coat of the season (which I was lucky enough to receive for Christmas!!). The J. Crew Chateau parka is so warm and so chic. I have loved wearing it for the past month and it’s the only thing keeping me going through all these snow storms. 2. Duffle coats are so classic and always remind me of the loveable Paddington Bear. I love this Duffle Coat with Drop Waste from Asos, it’s a little dressier and feminine than the usal boxy shape of a duffle coat. 3. Fur is warm but oh so expensive! Here’s a fun faux fur option from Topshop that won’t break the bank. 4. Puffy coats are obviously super warm but can look shapeless. I love this Down Anorak with Furry Hood from Zara because of the addition of a skinny belt to highlight your waist. 5. Leather is stylish, but not always warm but this Marc New York Distressed Faux Shearling Coat is both! 6. This Fur-trim Camo Puffer from GAP is a more casual coat, so cute for bitter cold days!
Last week I started a cold weather must haves series and shared with you all my favorite scarves. This week I wanted to share the best sweaters for cold weather. We all want to stay warm without feeling and looking super frumpy – which is tricky to do! You of course have to shop for your body type. I have narrow shoulders so turtlenecks are good for me. If you have a larger bust a nice v-neck would be great. Cardigans are good for all and even better for layering!
1. I recently got this iceblock turtleneck sweater when Madewell sale items were an extra 40% off and I LOVE it. The colors are great, it lands at just the right spot under your hips, and it’s boxy without being shapeless. 2. These long drapey cardigans aren’t always the most flattering but they sure are cozy. Try one made of a thinner material like the draped cardigan from Zara so it’s not quite as bulky. 3. The perfect apres ski sweater from J. Crew. Adorable, right? I’d wear with bright color jeans and boots. 4. Stripes and elbow patches! Nothing to not love about this sweater from J. Crew Factory. 5. I love bold colors and what better way to wear them in winter than this abstract fair isle sweater from J. Crew. 6. Cable knit is the most class sweater and I love the shape of this one from GAP. Ps. All of these sweaters are on sale (and some with an extra percent off!).
What sweaters are you wearing this winter?
It’s been downright arctic in my neck of the woods lately – what about you? I have found over the years that the more appropriately dressed I am the less the cold bothers me. Gone are the days when I wear my ballet flats year-round (cold ankles!). I also think you really get used to bitter temps. That first terribly cold November day feels like your you will never stop shivering but by January you’re like “eh, what’s 20 degrees, no big deal.” Personally I find the more I’m outside the quicker my body gets used to the cold temps. All of that said… I have some cold weather must-haves that I love and I thought I’d share with you in the next few weeks. This week, everyone’s winter MUST – a scarf! I love a cozy scarf and here are a few that I have and love or are on my “list.”
1. This kate spade Saturday Cableknit Pocket Scarf is genius! You don’t necessarily need gloves, you can just use the little pockets at the bottom of the scarf. 2. A chunky scarf. I love the scarves made by etsy seller LuluLoves. 3. Blanket scarves are all the rage this winter – they’re perfect for travel too when you start off needing a scarf and can convert to a blanket to get even cozier. I like this plaid one from Amazon of all places. There are a million way to wear these, just search on Pinterest. 4. Nothing better than the classic Burberry scarf. I’ve had mine for years and still wear it all the time. 5. Nothing says cozy more than fur. This Toscana shearling infinity scarf from J. Crew could be worn with everything all winter.
What are your favorite scarves?
Raise your hand if you’re traveling at all with the upcoming holidays!!!!
I haven’t done an outfit post like this in forever – honestly I love doing them but they take a long time to put together and with 2 wee ones who seem to always be in need, my time is not my own and certainly not this blog’s either… BUT! I’ve had my eye on a few things online that I really wanted to share so I decided to round up a little outfit for any upcoming holiday travel you may have this winter. What will you be wearing?
1. Madewell linen Telegraph tee in stripe (on sale!); 2. Layer Love Necklace from Dogeared; 3. J. Crew Chateau Parka in neon electric flame; 4. Fingerless gloves from Zara; 5. Spanx faux leather leggings from Nordstrom; 6. J Slides Fltecher Sneakers from Anthropologie; 7.kate spade Saturday Weekender bag in Gold Dot.