Last week I started a cold weather must haves series and shared with you all my favorite scarves. This week I wanted to share the best sweaters for cold weather. We all want to stay warm without feeling and looking super frumpy – which is tricky to do! You of course have to shop for your body type. I have narrow shoulders so turtlenecks are good for me. If you have a larger bust a nice v-neck would be great. Cardigans are good for all and even better for layering!
1. I recently got this iceblock turtleneck sweater when Madewell sale items were an extra 40% off and I LOVE it. The colors are great, it lands at just the right spot under your hips, and it’s boxy without being shapeless. 2. These long drapey cardigans aren’t always the most flattering but they sure are cozy. Try one made of a thinner material like the draped cardigan from Zara so it’s not quite as bulky. 3. The perfect apres ski sweater from J. Crew. Adorable, right? I’d wear with bright color jeans and boots. 4. Stripes and elbow patches! Nothing to not love about this sweater from J. Crew Factory. 5. I love bold colors and what better way to wear them in winter than this abstract fair isle sweater from J. Crew. 6. Cable knit is the most class sweater and I love the shape of this one from GAP. Ps. All of these sweaters are on sale (and some with an extra percent off!).
What sweaters are you wearing this winter?
kate spade notebook – Paper Source / Blue striped tee – J. Crew (Old) / Zippered pouch – Forever21 (similar)
I’ve been kind of obsessed with gold leaf lately…beyond my Gold Leaf Frame class next week (there are still a few spots left!) there’s something so pretty and feminine about an accessory or even office supply with a little shiny gold on it, reminiscent of gold leaf. Above I have some personal gold leaf in my life right now…and then below I have some things I’ve been ogling after…
1. I love this gold-stripe cork iPhone case from J. Crew, the gold is more subdued here. 2. I can’t talk about gold leaf-looking things without mentioning these Gold-Dipped flatware from Anthropologie, I’ve loved these utensils forever! They’d look pretty in my blog food photos, don’t you think? 3. The great thing about gold is it’s basically a neutral – I love this gold polka dots pillow from Society6, it will match any room in the house! 4. The Glitterati jumbo headband from ban.do adds the perfect spec of gold. 5. This heart of gold sweatshirt from Forever21 is from the girls department and oh so cute! 6. I love this J. Crew Factory metallic brocade mini, you could dress it up with a formal top or wear it casual with a white tee! Ps. this print comes in pants and shorts, too. 7. I saw these Tippy Pumps on Anthropologie‘s website a few weeks ago and LOVE them for spring/summer!
So……… we’re going to London! And Glasgow! We leave tomorrow night! We are more than excited, as you can imagine. We have some friends living in Scotland right now so we thought we’d visit them and start with a jaunt in cheery ol London. So of course I had to share a little round-up of what I think is great to wear while you’re traveling on an airplane. I am against wearing your jammies as some people seem to do these days…but I am for wearing something totally comfortable. So here goes…
1. I start with a tank in case the plane is hot like this one from Zara…; 2. And also wear some sort of cardigan or wrap top like this one from J. Crew Factory; 3. I bring a Turkish Towel – they’re great to keep you warm on the plane if it gets chilly, and you can also use it on your trip as a picnic blanket, beach towel, or even a bath towel if you need one; 4. I always seem to wear jeans with a little stretch, like my favorites from Urban Outfitters; 5. I also pack a large carry-on like this one from Tory Burch so I have room for snacks, my kindle, iPhone, headphones, etc…; 6. I bring cute socks like these from Target to wear if you need to take off your bulky shoes (see #8); 7. Water. Airlines give out those tiny bottles nowadays which is not nearly enough. I buy the biggest bottle I can find once I’m at my gate in the airport; and 8. I always wear the bulkiest shoes I am packing for my trip to save room/weight in my suitcase. I’ll be wearing my Isaac Mizrahi Oletta Oxford Shoes.
I have a serious love/hate relationship with shorts. When it’s the heat of summer, they are pretty necessary but, I hate the way my legs look in them. My answer to this issue is actually very surprising…go shorter! Maybe it’s because I’m somewhat short (5’4″) but shorts that hit right above or at my knee are less than flattering. They just cut your leg in half making me even shorter – no thanks! So it turns out the most flattering shorts hit mid-thigh, which actually makes your legs look longer. I might add you should also size up in your shorts especially if they’re in a skinny cut – slightly baggy shorts hanging off your hips are much more flattering that hip-hugging tight shorts.
Here’s a little list of shorts I’ve been eying lately that fit my shorter/looser shorts rule…
1. I love these polka-dot chambray shorts from J. Crew Factory; 2. These sequin elastic waist shorts from LOFT are amazing and 40% off right now; 3. These Zara shorts with embroidered hems are no less than fabulous! They are currently sold out of every size but XS. Hopefully they re-stock soon!; 4. These AG Adriano Goldschmied pixie cutoffs from Shopbop are adorable and the perfect length. And I feel the same way about white shorts as I do white jeans; and 5. I love the print of these Lucky Brand Leela Ikat print shorts from Nordstrom.
What are your feelings about shorts?!
I’ve already declared that in place of regular denim I like to wear white jeans in the summer. But then I was perusing the internet and found these amazing, lightweight jeans and I think I spoke too soon! I love the pattern of these pants that from afar look like they might be a blue tribal pattern…but close up you see that they are in fact floral. There is also piping down each leg to give them a tuxedo pant effect. So original! I had to think of an outfit idea and share them with you, you may be surprised, but I went mostly neutral to let the pants really shine. Let me know what you think and if you’d wear these pants in place of your heavier denim for summer.
1. Silk Cargo Tank from Madewell, worn loosely tucked in; 2. This navy Fan Necklace from J. Crew Factory makes the look; 3. Simple cardigan from J.Crew Factory, the pop of bright green looks great with the pants.; 4. The outfit would look great with my favorite navy nail essie‘s Bobbing for Baubles; 5. The pants! Looker Skinny Jeans from Mother at Shopbop; 6. My sister just got a new Tory Burch so that inspired me to pair this outfit with one of Tory‘s new Straw Basket Tote Bags for summer. I love the whole line but this one looks great with this outfit; and 7. I’ve been coveting these Studded espadrille slip-ons from Zara. You know how I love espadrilles…
We had a good week around here, we weren’t too busy, which is nice so we could appreciate the simple things. The biggest news I have is I will reveal a major blog redesign on Monday! Make sure to check www.styledbyjess.com first thing Monday morning – I’d love to hear your feedback when the new site is revealed!
Here’s a photo recap of our week:
My obsession with pistachio green began when I found this necklace at J. Crew Factory.
We got Z some mega blocks and she has been building towers ever since… This baby is going to be a lego kid just like her daddy. =)
We got our ingredients for our Blue Apron meals – more on this next week!
I am excited to start making Easter crafts! I will have start sharing ideas next week…
Have a great weekend, here are some fun links:
J.Crew behind the scenes Spring/Summer 2013 presentation.
Shirley MacLaine is back for season 4 of Downton Abbey!
Here is a fun interview with working mom and Crewcuts designer Jenny Cooper.
Bloomingdales interviews Milly designer Michelle Smith about her Spring 2013 collection. I cannot seem to get enough of her bright preppy prints!
This new Marimekko print Converse sneaker line is awesome I love the yellow flower high tops the best.