Last summer when we took Z to our favorite park to fly a kite, she had a blast. We knew this year would be even better now that she’s older and could (potentially) fly a kite on her own so we added to our Summer of Us list. Over the long holiday weekend we paid a visit to Brenton State Park to fly a kite!
Getting the kite ready…
…Daddy helping to get it in the air…
…and flying the kite all on her own – success!
A few notes if you go this summer:
– Brenton Point State Park is on Ocean Drive in Newport, RI where Narragansett Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean. It’s easily a day trip drive from Boston, about an hour and 30/45 minutes.
– It’s a great kite park because of the winds because of its location right on the ocean. Be prepared with a sweatshirt or sweater, it can be chilly there even on the hottest summer days.
– There are public restrooms available during park hours (sunrise to sunset) from Memorial Day through Halloween.
– Bring a picnic along with your kite and make a day of it. There are quite a few places to get great take-out lunch in Newport, a few of our faves are:
– Rosemary & Thyme, a great French bakery that serves sandwiches starting at 11:30am.
– Peaceable Market, right on Thames St serving sandwiches and salads.
– Flo’s Clam Shack, if you’re looking for traditional fried fish, this is the place but go early, this place gets packed!
– Blue Rocks Market, really great sandwiches and pre-made salads and food. It’s also a little market with all sorts of yummy treats!
– Ash Mart, looks like just a convenience store from the outside, but they make great, traditional sub sandwiches. Go here if the line is too long at Blue Rocks, it’s just across the street.
2 thoughts on “Summer of Us – Go Fly a Kite”
Looks like so much fun!! Great pictures!!